Lately I worked on BetterOptin, the WordPress popup plugin that I develop with Julien Liabeuf. In the plugin's Dashboard, there is a documentation page which fetches a remote JSON and renders it. Should I use WordPress transients or HTML5 web storage to cache it?
Transients Pro & Cons:
- Good control of expiration
- Site-wide caching for all users
Web Storage Pro & Cons:
- Easy to implement, especially with jQuery $.getJSON()
- Caching per user → Result in higher server load
- Nearly impossible to specify expiration. See John Resig's article about it.
- The remote JSON needs CORS